About Me

My photo
San Francisco, CA, United States

Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Wizard and I

"Once I'm with the Wizard, my whole life will change. Cuz once you're with the Wizard, no one thinks you're strange! No father is not proud of you, no sister acts ashamed, and all of Oz has to love you when by the Wizard, you're acclaimed"

I can't believe tomorrow is opening night for Wicked. Last year when it was announced it would come back to the San Francisco for an open-ended run, I thought, finally, it's returning home to the city where it belongs.

Seeing the title character of Elphaba as she truly is, not like the portrayal in The Wizard of Oz, one can marvel at the different layers and beauty of who she really is. Having different layers myself, I slowly peel them off one by one as I get to know people. Sometimes the layers stay on and sometimes they completely come off. Being friends with others is work, hard work. Hard work of trying not to let friends see the real me because I used to think they wouldn't like me. As Elphaba discovers with her weird quirk and green skin, it's something that sets her apart from the others. Looking and feeling different than others, she is neglected by her father. Finding where she belongs is a life long quest, as it has been for me.

Trying to care what others think about me has it's disadvantage. It's not what they thought, but what I projected what they thought, that used to stop me from being myself. It's finding a balance to be who I am and my perception of what others think, that is defining who I am today. Knowing my family and friends have my best interests at heart, I'll listen to them when they say I'm traveling down the wrong path of life.

"He'll say to me, I see truly who you are, a girl I can rely. And that's how we'll begin, the Wizard and I."

I've learned that it doesn't matter what people think, it's that they are still in my life. It's what they say to me, to let me know they love me, to support me during tough times, share in my joy of life, and tell me when I'm about to make a big mistake. That's the beauty of life when you're loved by others.

"Unlimited, my future is unlimited."

No comments:

Post a Comment