About Me

My photo
San Francisco, CA, United States

Monday, February 2, 2009

My life compared to Wicked

Most people have identified with the lead character of Elphaba. She looks and feels different than most. She wants to fit in but can't because of the way society views her. Even her own family tries to distance themselves from her. She has a big heart, wants someone to love, and have someone love her. She's misunderstood and vilified as an outcast. She meets the one person whom she has idolized her entire life, someone who will accept her for as she is, not wanting to change her but love her unconditionally. She finds out he is a phony. Elphaba discovers herself, her true self. She is the one with the power, the power to make a difference.

In a way, my life has been like that. As I'm sure most of you can relate to, trying to fit in a society that doesn't understand you. My life lately has been resembling the song "Defying Gravity". There are times when I fly off the handle at situations and other times when I can handle it without groveling. There are things that people expect of me and for the most part, I do what is expected of me. Sometimes I'm through with playing by the rules of someone else's game. But those rules are intended to keep me safe so I'll keep playing by them until I'm capable of living life on my own healthy terms.

Somethings I cannot change but until I try I'll never know. So lately I've been trying to live a new life without certain things that have held me down the past few years. Knowing that I'm unlimited without those certain things, I know I can be the greatest person I can. There is no fight I cannot win without my friends and family. Believe me, kicking bad habits is a daily on-going fight for me. Everyone deserves to fly on a natural high.

In a sense, it's my life coming of age. Knowing what's important in my life (family, friends, health, work) and enjoying being in the moment. Because sometimes all we have are precious moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment