About Me

My photo
San Francisco, CA, United States

Friday, February 6, 2009

Opening Night Review

This is the 9th time I've seen the show and it continues to amaze me. Kendra Kassebaum, Glinda, delivered a great performance, especially "Thank Goodness". I think that Teal Wicks will continue to get stronger after each and every performance she does. Teal brings a different, more complex and darker side to Elphaba that I haven't seen in other performers. Although she could have performed better in "The Wizard and I" and "Defying Gravity", she definitely made up for it in "No Good Deed" which was powerful. I loved "For Good".

Deedee Magno Hall was spectacular as Nessarose. This is the second time I've seen her perform and she consistently delivers the goods. Nicolas Dromard acting, Fiyero, was pretty impressive. I'll reserve judgment on his vocals till I see him one more time. Eddy Rioseco, Boq, was okay, especially his short solo in "Dancing Through Life", but "March of the Witch Hunters" was a disappointment. Carol Kane and David Garrison delivered great performances.

In the beginning it seemed like there were some issues with sound and lighting cues. The biggest blooper was during "Thank Goodness" when the sign "Congratulotions" didn't drop on cue while the whole ensemble was looking up. During the cornfield fight, Kendra accidentally grabbed Teal's hat during the fight and threw it to her as she was leaving, which Teal caught. Since this is the second time I've noticed that, I'm not sure if it's on purpose or accident. I'll keep you posted.

I sat in the rear Mezzanine, row L, seat 105, cost $99.00 plus taxes and surcharges for a total of $119.00, with my friend Dottie. It was her first time seeing it and she definitely wants to see it again. Sitting in the Mezzanine I've noticed two things that I've haven't seen before: 1) During the scene "One Short Day" I noticed the backdrop had machinery parts rotating and 2) Whenever Elphaba was casting spells, the lighting on her was kaleidoscope.

The next time I see the show is February 17th, but I might try for the lottery seats next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment