About Me

My photo
San Francisco, CA, United States

Friday, February 13, 2009

More Dancing Through Life

"Skimming the surface, gliding where turf is smooth. Life's more painless, when you're brainless."

Lately, I haven't had to do much thinking. Doing what I'm told to do, showing up at places where I'm supposed to, and do what's expected of me.

This past December, a couple of friends of mine went sky diving for the first time. Joe (down below next to Rande), Rande (right), Teddy and myself did a tandem jump at an altitude of 13,000 feet. What rush of adrenaline! I wasn't scared as I got into the plane or did the jump. Thought for sure that I would have a heart attack on the way down, but it didn't happen.
As we parachuted down, I kept looking straight ahead at the horizon. I knew that if I looked down, it wouldn't have been pretty for the cleaners. When I looked up towards the sky, I knew I was missing a lifetime experience. At one point, the tandem instructor released a couple of hooks and it felt as though I were being ejected, but I didn't separate from him. The landing was smooth, just fell on my butt.

"Swaying and sweeping, and always keeping cool. Life is fraught less, when you're thoughtless. Those who don't try, never look foolish."

In doing the jump, I've learned a few things about myself. 1) If I don't try different things, I'm selling myself short and missing out on some memorable life experiences 2) Staying focused on the task at hand will ensure a smooth landing 3) I can't do it alone, someone always has to have my back.

1 comment: