About Me

My photo
San Francisco, CA, United States

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Matinee Preview

My friend Dan (left with Kip and Matt before a Wicked performance in LA), who's seen the show at least 20 times, said the understudy would probably go on during the matinee performance. Damn, he was right! Vicky Noon stood in for Teal Wicks as Elphaba. At first I wasn't really impressed with her version of The Wizard and I. Vicky did a pretty good job and held her own during Defying Gravity. Her voice is strong but pitchy in some areas. As the show went on, I grew to like her a lot. What impressed me the most was No good deed. She hit a home run and redeemed herself.

The funniest part of the show was during the cornfield fight scene towards the end when Elphaba was allowed to leave by Fiero. As she was getting ready to leave, her hat fell off and Glinda threw it to her. She caught it! I started laughing but most people thought it was part of the show.

The crowd was pretty enthusiastic, applauding loudly after ever song. The audience clapped loudly when Elphaba re-appeared after being doused with a bucket of water. Though the audience was of an older age group, I felt they really liked the show.

1 comment: